Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I'm Back . . .

. . . but I'm not making any promises! I'm going to try to write something here at least weekly, but being basically lazy and undisciplined, I make no guarantees! Someone asked me about my blog the other day, and having a very easily manipulated ego like many writers, I was inspired to come back! Someone cared enough to ask! Now if they'll just care enough to read.

While I haven't been blogging, I have been seeing some movies. And it's Oscar week! Wheee! (I know . . . I need to get a life. I really do have one, though--a life that is, not an Oscar.) For me, Oscar night is right up there with Halloween, Christmas and the anniversary of my divorce . . . um, I mean divorces! All of them! Just kidding--there's only been two. And I don't even really remember on which days the divorces were finalized.

So, my Oscar predictions: I think it will be an easy year to call, easier than usual anyway, at least as to the big ones (famous last words no doubt). I'm going with Kate Winslet and Mickey Rourke in the acting categories. Actually, as with most things on which I'm an expert, I really have no idea what I'm talking about. I haven't even seen The Wrestler. But I have seen The Reader and if Kate Winslet doesn't win the Oscar, then the Pope's not a Nazi. Oops. My bad.

In all seriousness, Kate Winslet is amazing in The Reader. She's amazing in Revolutionary Road too, for that matter, but I'm glad the nomination is for The Reader because her performance is much more gut-level powerful in The Reader. Her performance in Revolutionary Road is like a well-conceived understatement--she holds back more than she gives which is in itself an impressive feat because it gives the role much more depth and emotional clout. And both movies pack a hell of an emotional clout. Load your pockets with tissue before you go into either one. Or if you forget the tissue, get a bunch of napkins from the concession stand when you buy your popcorn. Be sure to load the popcorn up with gallons of that transfat horror show they call "butter" so that you can justify taking so many napkins. Besides, what's movie popcorn without "butter"!

And Mickey Rourke deserves to win because when he won the Golden Globe, he thanked his doggies, and you have to love a man who loves his doggies that much, and I just heard tonight that his 18-year-old chihuahua died earlier this week. That so sucks.

As for the Big One, I think The Reader is a much better movie than Slumdog Millionaire but I think Slumdog will take home the prize. It's a warm fuzzy while The Reader is more like a freezing bed of nails by comparison. I think it's a year when people desperately want and need a warm fuzzy. Plus Slumdog had a lot of momentum coming into award season. And it is a wonderful movie, very clever, and in fact I expect it to win the adapted screenplay prize as well.

I must rest now. It has taken a lot out of me to blog again. But I'm willing to sacrifice myself for my loyal readers. All one or two of you. Next time, I'll discuss the intricacies of quantum mechanics and the implications thereof on the American interstate highway system. Or maybe I'll just talk some more about movies and the Oscars.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere*!!!










*Isn't that the name of the former IL gov??

Cindy Mc said...

LOL! No, I think that was blogobitch--I'm changing my name to it because it's so fitting!

Anonymous said...

Your predictions seem sound; now if I can just find a good bookie. I dig the blog. I need to go through the old posts, which I'm going to do...now

itsalwayssomethin said...

Come on, Cindy! Have you not seen a movie since August 2009??? Time for you to get back on it! xxoo janita z